north carolina highway historical marker program
North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Program

  Credits ...

TThe North Carolina Highway Historical Marker Web Project is an initiative of the Research Branch of the North Carolina Office of Archives and History (NCOAH) in collaboration with the Information Technology Office of the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources (NCDCR) and the North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT). It is the culmination of three years of effort by staff historians, information technology specialists, students, and interns. The project builds upon over seventy years of work by staff members of what is today the NCOAH, among them Christopher Crittenden, Marybelle Delamar, William S. Powell, Edwin A. Miles, William S. Tarlton, Elizabeth Wilborn, and Jerry C. Cashion.

    The objective is to share with internet users details heretofore available only upon examination of files in Raleigh. The site permits web users to search the database, view GIS maps and photos, and read essays on approximately 1600 markers. Additional essays and photographs will be posted regularly as new markers are approved.

Project Coordinator
Michael Hill
GIS / GPS Training
Hardee Cox, NCDOT
John Farley, NCDOT
David Johnson, NCDOT
Jennifer Robertson, NCDOT
Project Historians
Ansley Wegner
LeRae Umfleet
Mark Moore
Michael Hill
Dennis Daniels
Joshua Howard
Jessica Bandel
Mike Coffey
Interns: GPS Fieldwork and Photography
Patrick Wade (2004)
Charles Givens (2004)
Josh Long (2005)
Justin Gerner (2005)
Web Design
Mark Moore, Webmaster, NCDCR
Administrative Assistants
Vivian McDuffie
Lisa Keenum
Intern: Historical Essays
Jennie Biser (2006)
Matt Stokes (2007)
Elizabeth Boak (2008)
David Crow (2009)
Information Technology Specialists
Jeff Schwantes, NCDCR
Mickeal Johnson, NCDCR
David Minor, NCDCR
Latonia Strickland, NCDCR
Victor Milla, NCDCR
Archival Photographs
Alan Westmoreland, NCOAH



north carolina highway historical marker program
first marker dedication
The first marker erected under the program (above) was dedicated alongside U.S. 15 in Stovall, Granville County, in 1936. (Marker District G)

© 2008 North Carolina Office of Archives & History — Department of Cultural Resources